Welcome to Cambridgeshire Hearing Help
Founded in 1978 under the name of CAMTAD, our mission is to reduce the impact of hearing loss on people’s lives across Cambridgeshire.
Our dedicated team of 6 part-time staff and 115+ volunteers provide a range of services/activities to approximately 6,000 people with hearing loss, and their family and friends, each year.
You can now make Battery Requests and book an appointment to one of our HAM Centres using our new online booking system.
If you are an NHS hearing aid user and your HEARING AID NEEDS CLEANING AND RE-TUBING you can book an appointment at one of our Hearing Aid Maintenance (HAM) Centres.
To comply with social distancing regulations and Covid-19 risk assessments, this is a ‘drop off and wait’ service by appointment only. We ask that your hearing aids are handed to us in a sealed envelope labelled with your Name, Date of Birth, Postcode and contact phone number. You can also collect batteries at your appointment. If you require batteries only, you can also collect them from a HAM Centre, without the need to make an appointment. Please drop in during our opening hours and we will issue them to you.
Our opening dates are as follows:
- Cambourne Hub 1st Tuesday of the month, 10am-12 noon: Cambourne Hub, High Street, Great Cambourne CB23 6GW.
- Chatteris Library 2nd Friday of the month, 10am-12 noon: Chatteris Library, 2 Furrowfields Road, Chatteris, PE16 6DY.
- Comberton Sheltered Housing Centre 3rd Tuesday of the month, 2pm-3.30pm: Sheltered Housing Centre, Nursery Way (off Barrons Way), Comberton CB23 7EL.
- Cottenham Community Centre 2nd Thursday of the month, 2pm-4pm: Cottenham Community Centre, 250A High Street, Cottenham CB24 8RZ.
- Ely Library 2nd Tuesday of the month, 10am-12 noon: Ely Library, 6 The Cloisters, Ely CB7 4ZH.
- Fulbourn Library 3rd Thursday of the month, 10am-12 noon: The Swifts Meeting Room & Library, Haggis Gap, Fulbourn, Cambridge, CB21 5HD.
- Gamlingay Baptist Church 3rd Wednesday of the month, 10am-11.30am: Baptist Church, Stocks Lane, Gamlingay SG19 3JR
- Girton Baptist Church 3rd Wednesday of the month, 2pm-4pm: Baptist Church 103 High Street, Girton, Cambridge CB3 0QQ.
- Great Shelford Free Church 1st Thursday of the month, 10am-12 noon: Great Shelford Free Church, Ashen Green, Great Shelford, CB22 5EY. There will be no session in June 2022.
- Huntingdon Library 4th Tuesday of the month, 10.30am-12pm: Huntingdon Library (First Floor), Princes Street, Huntingdon PE29 3PA. There will be no session in December 2022.
- Meadows Community Centre 4th Thursday of the month, 10am-11.30am: Meadows Community Centre, 1 St Catharine’s Rd, Cambridge CB4 3XJ.
- Melbourn Community Centre 4th Thursday of the month, 2pm-4pm: Vicarage Close Community Room, Melbourn SG8 6DY.
- St Ives Library 2nd Wednesday of the month, 10am-12 noon: St Ives Library, 4 Library Row, Station Road, St Ives PE27 5BW.
- St Neots Library 4th Wednesday of the month, 10am-12 noon: St Neots Library, Priory Lane, St Neots PE19 2BH. There will be no session in December 2022.
- Sawston Community Hall 3rd Monday of the month, 10am-12 noon: Chapelfield Way Community Hall, Sawston CB22 3GB (entrance drive opposite Bellbird Primary School in Link Road). There will be no session in April 2022.
- Soham Library 1st Monday of the month, 10am-12 noon: Soham Library, 5/7 Clay Street, Soham CB7 5HJ. There will be no session in May 2022.
- Whittlesey Library 4th Monday of the month, 2pm-3.30pm: Whittlesey Library, 31-35 Market Lane, Whittlesey PE7 1BA. There will be no session in December 2022.
To make an appointment and/or request batteries, please use our online booking service or telephone our office: 01223 416141.
If you require batteries we will need to know what SIZE you need. This will be either size 13 Orange, size 312 Brown or size 675 Blue.
If you are unable to get to any of our Hearing Aid Maintenance Centres please contact your original provider: your hospital audiology department or Specsavers.
You can also pick-up batteries from the Cambridgeshire Mobile Library, which visits 85 villages and communities throughout the county.
Further locations for Hearing Aid Maintenance Centres will be posted on this website as they become available.
If you need your NHS hearing aids cleaned and retubed, and require batteries, you can book an appointment to one of our Hearing Aid Maintenance (HAM) centres. Find out about the HAM centre nearest to you.
We run free lip-reading classes in Cambridge and signpost to other online resources/ lip-reading classes in the county.
We rely on support from individuals, community groups, companies, charitable trusts and foundations to keep our services running. Discover ways you can support us, including taking part in a sponsored event, making a one-off or regular donation, or leaving a gift in your Will.
Latest News from Cambridgeshire Hearing Help:
User Satisfaction Survey Report – we wish to thank everyone who took the time to complete a questionnaire and comment on our services and the quality of the volunteering experience with Cambridgeshire Hearing Help. We are delighted to see how high the satisfaction is both with our services and from the volunteers too. The full survey report can be found here.